WIOW Symposium / Canberra, 29 October - 31 October 2018

What's In Our Water 2018 Symposium


Entry into Australia

Visas and passports

Unless you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, you will need a visa to enter Australia.
All passport holders other than New Zealanders must apply for a visa before leaving home. You can apply for a range of visas, including tourist visas and working holiday visas, at your nearest Australian Consulate. You can also apply for certain types of visas online.

There are important things you should know before applying for, or being granted, an Australian visa. These include applying for the right type of visa, application requirements, your obligations while in Australia and the importance of complying with visa conditions.

Some example visa types are listed below. Please note that this information can periodically be subject to change, and you should check with the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship website for the most up-to-date information.


Tourist visa

A tourist visa is for people visiting Australia for a holiday, sightseeing, social or recreational reasons, to visit relatives, friends or for other short-term non-work purposes. There are a number of tourist visas available for people wishing to visit Australia as a tourist. Visit the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship website for eligibility requirements.


ETA (Visitor) (Subclass 976)

An electronically stored authority for short-term visits to Australia of up to three months. Available to passport holders from a number of countries and regions, who live outside Australia.

eVisitors (Subclass 651)c

An electronically stored authority for visits to Australia for tourism or business purposes for up to three months. Available to passport holders from the European Union and a number of other European countries, who live outside Australia.


Australia’s customs and quarantine

Australia has strict customs laws to protect Australia's unique animal and plant life. You are not allowed to bring drugs, steroids, weapons, firearms and protected wildlife into Australia. Some common items such as fresh or packaged food, fruit, eggs, meat, plants, seeds, skins and feathers are also prohibited. There is no limit on currency but you will need to declare amounts over AUD$10,000. For more detailed information go to the Australian Government Customs and Border Protection website and Department of Agriculture.


Government department responsibilities

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship is responsible for issuing visas to people who want to visit, work, study or live in Australia. It is responsible for the management of lawful and orderly entry and stay of people in Australia, including through effective border security. It provides information and application forms for migration to Australia, and information about settling in Australia, Australian citizenship, and multicultural affairs.

The Australian Customs and Border Protection Service manages the security and integrity of Australia's borders. It works closely with other government and international agencies, in particular the Australian Federal Police, the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship and the Department of Defence, to detect and deter unlawful movement of goods and people across the border.

The Department of Agriculture manages quarantine controls at Australian borders to minimise the risk of exotic pests and diseases entering the country.

For further information about the Australian Government's departments and their responsibilities visit www.australia.gov.au.


Delegate Registration

Registrations close 10 October 2018.

Black Mountain Declaration

The Black Mountain Declaration on Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals in Australian Waters (2007).